Friday, March 19, 2010

Ului and You: What you need to know to survive a cyclone

A fundamental part of traveling to a new country is new experiences. For me, Australia has been the venue for my first cyclone. Extensive inquiry (a Google search) has uncovered that Hurricanes and Cyclones are different names for the same tropical meteorological event, just termed according to where they occur in the world. I feel pretty comfortable reporting on it now, even though it's scheduled to make landfall this afternoon, because since smashing through Figi earlier in the week, Cyclone Ului has been downgraded to a level-2 storm, and for the Sunshine Coast, appears to only have made the effect of giant surf for the Malibu-Noosa surf festival going on this afternoon (Sorry if this entry seems rushed). Heeding warnings dutifully as I do, I did stock up on water, non-perishable food items, and candles, though determined later I didn't have any matches, which rendered much of my preparation for loss of power and light useless.



The last few weeks have been all about settling into my new job and place and congregation. Earlier in the week, I went on a tour of the Queensland Ambulance Service. Though there are differences (The Ambulances are Mercedes Brand), EMS here is fundamentally the same as it is back home, about providing care and compassion for sick people...and going at it with fire fighters (or, "Fireys" as they're referred to here).


So at about a month and a half into this trip, I will give a quick run down of, well, to cut to the chase, stuff I hate and stuff I love about Australia thus far, in no particular order:


Stuff I hate:

-Inept administration/bureaucracy. Imagine a world where every business was run like the DMV. Service and business administration is noticeably poor in comparison to the U.S. here. In addition to very short operating hours, the "no worries" mentality is really a bugger in the business arena. As one of many examples, my first paycheck was not deposited as scheduled. I uncovered that someone in finance had entered the wrong bank account number. The payroll woman asked me if I still wanted to be paid or just wait until next time. Looking at her like a cow looks at an unlocked gate, she got the message, and, thankfully, my paycheck was deposited only seven days late and not 14 as originally planned. Patience and tolerance for poor work performance not being a virtue I possess, this will be a good exercise in being less uptight.


-Soggy back country folk. A deadly combination of rain, riding the bus, and living in Queensland, I've seen a lot of interesting persons around these parts. On the bus signage, there's an advisory: "For the health and safety of fellow riders, please do not use spray deodorants during transport," which, would be comical if not for the fact that I have actually seen this done. Apparently it is a significant issue to be addressed. Like many places, it's a mix of people around here, and in my opinion, fashion and style is very nice overall in Australia. (Not to give the wrong impression, a lot of this place is resorty and quite nice).


-Beer is very, very expensive. A six-pack of Miller, the champagne of beers, will run you about $17 dollars.



-Stuff I (heart) about Australia:

-Pies: Ah the meat pie, bring a tear to me eye. Savory, flaky, filling, cheap and abundant, the "pie" may just be the single largest redeeming quality of this country for me. I had a Guinness Beef pie (ok, two) last week and they were about the best things I've ever eaten. I'd like to announce here on my blog that I believe in the grand scheme of things, the reason I was sent here was to bring the Pie to America, and I will be opening a shop upon my return. Contact me for investment opportunities, I will need some venture capitalists to get started.


-Short shorts: In all their glory, from the burly rugby player to the bloke on the road crew, Australian men are leggy and love to show off their gams. In all seriousness, I am never failed to be highly amused by men in short shorts. It's that warm and giggly feeling of traipsing through photo albums from the 1970's re-lived over and over again.


-My students: I really enjoy my students at the Uni. They are multi-national, motivated and responsible, engaged, and many of them have their sights set on doing things and going places with their lives. Not to bash the JC kids back home, but not one of them has yet told me they were absent due to Scarlett Fever or don't have their assignment because of the effects of video games (actual excuses used). The teaching is very enjoyable.


I could go on and on, but that's a quick update. I was sick last week but feeling better, I'm meeting new people, and the transition of being on vacation to living here is coming along. Ah, the joys of acclimation.


If you would like to call, my number is 0468 767 951 (from within Australia, you will have to look up specifically how to call Australia from where you are located). Just keep the time change in mind (7 hours behind, one day ahead PST).


Now, off to look for Gidget at this surf festival..

No comments:

Post a Comment