Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Big Sauce Pan: Diversity is the one true thing we all have in common (de Montaigne)



Cricket is just a really long game of baseball. An Aussie will argue to the death to convince you that it is not and try to systematically dissect the strategy and rules of each, but fundamentally it's all about hitting a ball with a stick. Whether it's called a base or a wicket, you're eating a hot dog or a sausage sizzle, the game is two hours long or two days, or it's being played under the "Big Dipper" or the "Big Saucepan," one of the main lessons you learn about life when you travel is that we are all much more the same than we are different.

As my time here in Australia winds down to a few days, I am truly humbled by the outpouring of kindness and support shown to me by new friends that I have made here, especially those from my new congregation. Though I've only been here a short period of time, mere months, it feels like some of the bonds of friendship I have formed have been years in the making.

As a parting gift, one friend gave me an authentic Aboriginal Boomerang. I have to learn how to use it before I leave, because I am a big fan of function. I don't believe in having something only for show. If I have this boomerang and can't even come back knowing how to kill a wallaby with it, really of what good is it?

As another parting activity, this past weekend, some friends got together and we went on a 4-wheel drive caravan trip adventure to Rainbow Beach and Double Island Point. Though an ecological nightmare, driving on the beach is always so much fun. I haven't driven in about 4 months, and I haven't logged any more than ten minutes behind the wheel on the left side of a vehicle, but my friends couldn't get enough of busting my chops by having me drive a freshwater dirt track and on the beach.

I am proud to report that no one was injured, I did not stall the truck once, and we did not get stuck in the mud or sand. Though admittedly, the left side of the vehicle may have taken out a few branches, as I tend to hug the left. "I'll pay for that," was my most commonly used phrase during the voyage. The beach is near Frazier Island, a world heritage-listed beautiful white sand stretch of beach.

They will most certainly need a new clutch.

I cannot say enough to express my gratitude to the Go-Sam family, Sean and Adele, Avirl and Jake for the trip and for their outstanding hospitality throughout my stay.

I will see you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment