Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Superbowl Monday (and other things that are different)

Ah, the subtle differences of life in a foreign country. Life in Australia really isn't "culture shock" in any sense of the word. They show American news and programming, there's a Sizzler, and I can still keep up with important things like what brand of shoes Paris Hilton's ferret wore to the Academy Awards after party. Yes, the big things in life from the States have had a semblance of continuity while away. But, there have been a few things that have been different, amusing a best, inconvenient at worst. Here are a few minor ones enumerated for your reading pleasure.

One: Superbowl Monday. "So you like the Grid Iron, eh?" asked Kay, the middle aged barkeep at the Sunshine Coast airport who kindly turned on the Superbowl for me. The bar wasn't open yet because the American sporting event of the year happens here on a Monday morning. Also, nobody cares. There's more important football for Aussies to attend to.

Two: Driving on the opposite (don't say wrong) side of the road. I'm going to start a jar where every time I try to get in the driver's side of a vehicle as a passenger, I have to contribute money. By the time I stop doing it, I will have enough to purchase my own 1990 Mazda Crazymodel compact for $10,000. Cars are much, much more expensive, as everything's an import.


Three: Lawyers (Barristers) still wear wigs. While walking near the courthouse in Melbourne the other day, I thought 'Wow, where is this Victorian Era re-enactment going on, I'd like to watch?' but no, this was a seasoned professional at work. In a wig. This is definitely a tradition we should revive in the States. Can you imagine how much more interesting construction defect litigation would be if everyone in the room looked like George Washington?


Four: I know what you're thinking, and no, toilets don't flush the opposite direction in Australia. Believe me, it was the first myth debunked upon my arrival here last year. Water does circle the drain in the opposite direction, however, but toilets have a completely different flushing mechanism wherein water rushes in from the front. It's like comparing apples to oranges (weird to use a food metaphor for toilets). We were discussing the other day, if you were crossing over the equator and you flushed a toilet, would the water reverse mid-flush and start draining the opposite direction?

Things that have not changed: Too much time on hands to ponder matters like that.

1 comment:

  1. SUPERBOWL MONDAY??? Things that stink about being about a day ahead. The whole city practically stopped for Super Bowl this year and everyone was rooting for the Saints. I miss ya Lowa and love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete